The new Public Interest Disclosure Act 2018 (PID Act) commenced on 1 July 2019, replacing the Whistleblowers Protection Act 1993.
The PID Act strengthens transparency and accountability in government by establishing a scheme that encourages and facilitates the appropriate disclosure of public interest information to certain persons or authorities. It provides protection for some people who make appropriate disclosure of public interest information in accordance with the PID Act and sets out processes for dealing with such disclosures.
What is public interest disclosure?
The PID Act establishes a process that encourages and facilitates the disclosure of public interest information to certain persons or authorities; this information is a Public Interest Disclosure.
A Public Interest Disclosure is a disclosure (report) that is made by a person who discloses to a relevant authority, information that indicates wrongdoing in relation to two types of public interest information;
- Environmental and Health information – is information that raises a potential issue of a substantial risk to the environment or to the health and safety of the public generally or a significant section of the public, whether occurring before or after the commencement of the PID Act.
- Public Administration information – any information that raises a potential issue of corruption, misconduct or maladministration in public administration (whether occurring before or after the commencement of the PID Act).
Making a public interest disclosure
To make a public interest disclosure to Electoral Commission SA (ECSA) the Responsible Officer can be contacted by:
Telephone: 1300 655 232 and ask for the responsible officer
- Mark the envelope private and confidential
- Public Interest Disclosure
- Electoral Commissioner SA
- GPO Box 646 Adelaide SA 5001
Public interest disclosure procedure and resources
For further information on making a public interest disclosure to ECSA, please see Additional Resource 1 Making an appropriate disclosure of public interest information.
- Electoral Commission SA Public Interest Disclosure Procedure (PDF 469 KB)
- Additional Resource 1 Making an appropriate disclosure of public interest information (PDF 195 KB)
- Additional Resource 2 Receiving and dealing with an appropriate disclosure of public interest information (PDF 170 KB)
- Additional Resources 3 How informants can contact Electoral Commission SA (PDF 49 KB)
For further information of the PID Act please visit the Independent Commission Against Corruption.