House of Assembly candidates may be:
- independent (not endorsed by a political party), or
- endorsed by a registered political party.
Information about nominating
Independent candidates must be nominated by at least 20 persons who are enrolled and qualified to vote in the same district the candidate is intending to contest.
Nominations must be accompanied by a deposit of $1,000 in banker's cheque (not a personal cheque) or electronic funds transfer (EFT) to the Electoral Commission of South Australia. If EFT is made you must provide a printed receipt showing successful lodgement of payment.
You must lodge the following with the returning officer for the district you are proposing to contest before the close of nominations:
- A completed nomination form
- The details and signatures of at least 20 nominators who are electors enrolled in the district you’re intending to contest
- A $1,000 deposit (banker’s cheque or EFT)
There is a strict deadline to lodge a completed s 130Y certificate if a new independent candidate (who has not yet announced their candidacy) wishes to participate in the election funding scheme. Please read the candidate guide RO16 carefully.
Registered political party endorsed candidates
To nominate as a candidate endorsed by a registered political party, complete a nomination form and return it to your party's registered officer. The registered officer may then lodge nominations directly with the Electoral Commission of South Australia.
Registered officers must submit the following before the close of nominations:
- all the party's nomination forms, and
- a deposit of $1,000 in banker's cheque or EFT for each candidate nominated
Nomination forms and guides
- Candidate guide - RO16 (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Nomination deposit information - RO106 (PDF, 208KB)
- Nomination form RO40A - party multiple lodgement (PDF, 272KB)
- Nomination form RO40B - party multiple nomination (PDF, 288KB)
- Nomination form RO44 - Independent (PDF, 280KB)
- Nomination form RO44A list of nominators - Independent (PDF, 267KB)
- Scrutineer appointment form RO59 (PDF, 228KB)
- Scrutineer guide RO18 (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Section 130Y Certificate - Unendorsed candidate or group (PDF, 187KB)
- Voting tickets lodgement RO45 (PDF, 229KB)
Nomination kits are available from your local returning officer or from the Electoral Commission SA. Candidates endorsed by a registered political party may obtain their kits from the registered officer of the party.