Register your interest
To be considered for temporary work at state or council elections, you will need to complete a Registration of Interest using the Electoral Commission SA (ECSA) Employment Portal.
Even if you have worked at a previous election, you still need to register your interest to work at future elections through the ECSA Employment Portal.
During the Registration of Interest process, you will need to confirm your eligibility to work for ECSA by answering questions from the Code of Conduct for Electoral Officers. Please read the Code of Conduct for Electoral Officers (322 KB) prior to commencing your registration of interest.
You will also be asked questions about your skills, previous employment experience, diversity status and preferences for types and location of election work.
A single Registration of Interest will allow you to be considered for all election roles with ECSA.
Note: lodging a Registration of Interest or having worked at a previous election does not guarantee that you will be offered a role at future elections.
It is important you understand the eligibility requirements before you commence your registration of interest for temporary election work.
To work at a state or council election you must:
- Have a unique email address – two people cannot apply using the same email address
- Not be active in political affairs or have any association with a political party or candidate for election to not compromise the strict neutrality of the Commission
- Be vaccinated for COVID-19 and provide proof prior to being offered employment
- Agree to abide by the Code of Conduct for Electoral Officers (322KB)
- Agree to undertake a criminal history check if it is a requirement for your position – this is identified in the ‘Special conditions’ section of the duty statements
- Be at least 16 years of age at the time of receiving an offer of employment – if you are 16 or 17 years old you can only be appointed to the position of Polling Assistant. All other roles require you to be over 18 years of age
Steps in the registration process
The registration of interest process has 3 main steps:
- Initial account creation which includes answering the Code of Conduct for Electoral Officers (322 KB) eligibility questions.
- Confirmation of email address (and creation of account) by completing the screening questionnaire, including your work location and position preferences.
- Finalisation of your registration of interest by completing bank, tax and super details.
Once your registration of interest has been submitted there is nothing further you need to do, unless your details need updating.
If you are offered employment, you will receive an email prompting you to log into the ECSA Employment Portal to review and accept the offer.
Updating your details
The ECSA Employment Portal is available 24/7. This means you can view and update your details at any time.
Having trouble navigating the registration of interest process or ECSA Employment Portal? Check out the following user guide:
Need to contact us?
If you need further assistance navigating the ECSA Employment Portal or you have a general employment or payroll enquiry, our Employment Helpdesk is available to support you.
Our Employment Helpdesk is available weekdays from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm.
- (Monday to Friday 9 am and 4.30 pm) – 7424 7466