Special assistance funding is a form of public funding under Division 5 of the Electoral Act 1985.
Registered political parties must meet the following eligibility criteria to receive special assistance funding:
- At least 1 member of the party must have been a member of the Parliament of South Australia for all or part of the half-yearly period; and
- The party must have been a registered political party on polling day for the last preceding general election and continued to be registered for all of the half-yearly period; and
- The agent of the party submitted a valid claim to the Electoral Commissioner setting out the administrative expenditure incurred by the party during that half-yearly period.
Special assistance funding claims under Division 5 are limited to the following maximum amounts:
- For a party with 5 or fewer members of Parliament - $35,000 (indexed)
- For a party with 6 or more members of Parliament - $60,000 (indexed)
Since Part 13A came into effect, the Electoral Commissioner has paid the amounts shown in the table below for special assistance funding claims.
|Australian Labor Party||Liberal Party||The Greens||SA Best||Advance SA||Dignity Party||Family First||Australian Conservatives|
|1/01/21 - 30/06/21||66,109.00||66,109.00||38,564.00||38,564.00||-||-||-||-|
|1/07/20 - 31/12/20||66,109.00||66,109.00||38,564.00||29,071.53||-||-||-||-|
|1/01/20 - 30/06/20||64,568.00||64,568.00||37,665.00||37,665.00||-||-||-||-|
|1/07/19 - 31/12/19||64,568.00||64,568.00||37,665.00||37,665.00||952.04||-||-||-|
|1/01/19 - 30/06/19||63,711.00||63,711.00||37,165.00||37,165.00||219.24||-||-||-|
|1/07/18 - 31/12/18||63,711.00||63,711.00||37,165.00||37,165.00||-||-||-||-|
|1/01/18 - 30/06/18||62,283.00||62,283.00||36.333.00||-||-||-||-||36,333.00|
|1/07/17 - 31/12/17||62,283.00||62,283.00||36,333.00||-||-||36,333.00||-||-|
|1/01/17 - 30/06/17||60,000.00||60,000.00||35,000.00||-||-||29,672.00||-||-|
|1/07/16 - 31/12/16||12,217.00||12,217.00||7,127.00||-||-||7,127.00||6,218.39||-|
|1/01/16 - 30/06/16||12,217.00||12,217.00||7,127.00||-||-||7,127.00||4,403.19||-|
|1/07/15 - 31/12/15||12,137.00||12,137.00||7,080.00||-||-||7,080.00||825.00||-|
Special assistance paid to date $1,929,199.39
One-off special assistance funding
Section 130UA was inserted into the Electoral Act 1985 on 9 June 2017 and expired on 31 August 2017. This section permitted eligible registered political parties to claim a one-off payment of special assistance funding for prescribed administrative expenditure for the purpose of complying with Part 13A of the Act.
Eligible registered political parties who wished to make a claim were required to submit a claim in writing to the Electoral Commissioner by 31 July 2017. This section limited the claim to the following maximum amounts:
- For parties with 5 or fewer members of Parliament - $56,000
- For parties with 6 or more members of Parliament - $96,000
The Electoral Commissioner paid the amounts shown in the table below for one-off special assistance payment in 2017. These payments were in addition to any entitlements to half yearly payments of special assistance funding paid under Division 5 of the Act.
|Australian Labor Party||$96,000.00|