Special assistance funding

This information is for registered political parties. If this is not what you are looking for, visit our Funding and disclosure for State elections page to find information that is relevant to you.

For more information, refer to Part 13A of the Electoral Act 1985 External link.

Eligibility criteria

Registered political parties may apply for special assistance funding for each half-yearly period if they meet all of the following criteria:

  • had at least one member of the party who was a Member of the Parliament for all or part of a half-yearly period; and
  • were also a registered political party on polling day for the last preceding general election; and
  • continued to be a registered political party for all of the half-yearly period (section 130U of the Electoral Act 1985).

Two or more registered political parties cannot rely on the same Member of Parliament to claim an entitlement for payment (section 130T(3)).

Claiming a payment

Claims must set out the amount of administrative expenditure incurred by the party during the half-yearly period. Administrative expenditure is expenditure in relation to the administration and operation of the party, not political expenditure. For information about political expenditure, visit our Reporting political expenditure (candidates and parties) page.

Half-yearly periods will start on 1 July 2015. A claim for payment must be submitted by party agents within seven days after the end of the half-yearly period to which it relates, that is, by 7 January and 7 July.

The Electoral Commissioner will provide the claim forms.


The amount payable to the party is the amount of administrative expenditure incurred by the party up to a maximum of:

  • $7,000 (indexed) in the case of a party with five or fewer Members of Parliament on the last day of the half-yearly period, or
  • $12,000 (indexed) in the case of a party with six or more Members of Parliament on the last day of the half-yearly period (section 130U(2)).

The Electoral Commissioner must, within 28 days of the receipt of a claim, pay the half yearly entitlement (section 130V).

Use of special assistance funding

The special assistance funding payment must not be:

  • deposited into the State campaign account, or
  • used for political expenditure (section 130W).


Refer to our Disclaimer page.