Obligations of a registered political party

This information is for registered political parties. If this is not what you are looking for, visit our Funding and disclosure for State elections page to find information that is relevant to you.

For more information, refer to Part 13A of the Electoral Act 1985 External link.

Parties and agents

A registered political party must appoint an agent.

If the party endorses a group of candidates in the Legislative Council, then the party's agent is the group's agent.

To understand all the obligations relating to the initial and ongoing appointment of an agent, refer to our Appointing an agent page.

What registered political parties must do

A party must do the following:

  • Create a State campaign account and deposit all gifts into that account and pay all political expenditure from that account (sections 130K, 130L and 130N of the Electoral Act 1985).
  • Ensure that the special assistance funding payment is not deposited into the State campaign account or used for political expenditure (section 130W).
  • Record information about its gifts of $200 or more and loans of $1,000 or more (sections 130ZJ and 130ZK).
  • Lodge an annual political expenditure return, if the party's political expenditure during a financial year is more than $5,000 (indexed) (section 130ZR).
  • Lodge a political party return within 30 days of 1 July and 1 January for the preceding six months (section 130ZN).
  • In the year of a general election, lodge a further return by 31 January, and then continue to lodge returns every 7 days until 30 days after polling day (section 130ZN).
  • Lodge an expenditure return within 60 days of polling day if the party's total amount of political expenditure during the capped expenditure period exceeded $5,000 (indexed) (section 130ZQ).
  • Provide audit certificates with all returns lodged (section 130ZV).
  • Ensure that it does not receive an amount of more than $500 for entry to an event, where the event is intended to raise money for the benefit of the party and it is advertised or promoted as an event where attendees will be given access to a Minister of the Crown or a Member of the Parliament of South Australia or a member of staff of the Minister or Member (section 130ZL).

Public funding scheme

To opt into the public funding scheme, a party must lodge a certificate under section 130Y of the Electoral Act 1985. Once lodged a certificate cannot be withdrawn. For more information, visit our Applying for public funding page.

Expenditure caps apply if a party opts into this scheme.

Penalties apply if a party or its members exceed their expenditure caps during the capped expenditure period.

For more information, including the expenditure caps for registered political parties and their members, refer to our Political expenditure caps page.


Refer to our Disclaimer page.