West Torrens

Current State electoral district map

2014 District of West Torrens map (PDF 1.92 MB)

2014 State election results

Electors on roll - 23 892
Formal ballot papers - 20 904
Informal ballot papers - 712
Total ballot papers returned - 21 616 

2014 two party preferred vote
ALP - 60.8%
LIB - 39.2%

Members since first represented in 1956 (lapsed 1970 – 2002)

Surname First Name Party Period
WALSH John F ALP 1956 - 1965
BROOMHILL Glen R ALP 1965 - 1970
KOUTSANTONIS Anastasious (Tom) ALP 2002 -

ALP = Australian Labor Party

History

West Torrens was a district for the Legislative Councils of 1851-1856. The name was used for one of the 17 House of Assembly electoral districts created in 1856, effective 1857. It was discontinued as a name in 1901, reintroduced in 1915, discontinued in 1936, it was revived again in 1955 and discontinued again in 1969. The name was reintroduced by the 1998 redistribution.

Name origin: The West Torrens region included the first ‘country’ sections to be surveyed by Colonel Light and his party. It was amongst the earliest areas to be settled and was one of the first districts to seek local government status following proclamation of the Districts Councils Act in 1852.

Size: Approximately 25.1 km²

Location: The Adelaide International and Domestic airport forms the western boundary and the River Torrens / Karrawirra Parri the northern boundary. In addition to the airport, a mix of older and newer suburbs and some light industry are features of this district.

Key boundary changes compared to 2010: West Torrens gains the suburbs of Cowandilla, Hilton, Keswick Terminal, Kurralta Park, Marleston, Mile End South, Richmond and the remainder of the suburb of North Plympton. It loses the suburbs of Camden Park, and West Beach and part of the suburbs of Novar Gardens, Lockleys and Glenelg North.

2010 District of West Torrens map (PDF 1.61 MB)